Change The World Wednesday – Homemade Granola Bars

OK OK, yes I know it’s actually Monday.  I am writing this in response to Reduce Footprints Change the Word Wednesday (CTWW) challenge from last week.  Here is the challenge:

This week, make your coffee or tea at home. Getting coffee/tea out every day not only costs a lot but also generates a lot of waste. Make it at home instead. And don’t forget … both coffee grounds and tea leaves are great in the compost bin.

Or …

If you don’t drink these beverages or always drink them at home, choose one other food or beverage, which you typically buy at either a restaurant or grocery store, and make it yourself at home. And, of course, we’d like to hear all about it!

I almost always make my coffee/tea at home, so does my husband.  We compost the grounds and tea leaves.  We use one of those “gold” reusable filters.  I even buy loose tea and fill reusable tea bags.  However, we get coffee out every Sunday morning.  We don’t use reusable mugs.  Bad, I know.  I will work on this one.

It does somehow taste so much better when they make it.  It must be their machines.  If you do get coffee/tea out a lot, try to reduce the impact on the environment and your wallet.    Instead of committing to making your own at home ALL the time, reduce slowly over time.  Start with once a week.  Or bring your own mug.   Many places, like Starbucks, will give you a discount for bringing your mug.

I have actually already been working on the second part of this challenge.  Granola bars are our downfall!  We buy these by the case.  It kills me.  I know they are not good for you, even though I try to buy the healthiest ones I can.  And the packaging waste!  Again, we upcycle the wrappers, but still.  Reduce is the best option.

HOMEMADE GRANOLA BARS

I started playing with recipes last week.  I have a couple that are very promising.

Chewy Granola Bars – I found this one on allrecipes.com.  Here is my version:

3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup brown rice crips (these can be difficult to find,  regular rice krispies could be used as well)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup chopped raisins
1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Lightly grease a 9×13 inch pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine oats, flours, baking soda,vanilla, butter, applesauce, and honey.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.
  3. Lightly press the mixture into the pan.  Bake at 325 for 18 to 22 mins. or until golden brown.
  4. Let cool for 10 mins, then cut into bars.  Let them cool completely before removing from pan.

These are pretty good.  They are a little more cookie-like in texture.  But I like that they didn’t have as much sugar (the recipe actually called for honey) or butter as other recipes I saw.  They are crumbly though. Need to work on that.  You can add any mixture of dried fruits, nuts, or chocolate for the last 3 ingredients.

There is another recipe for granola bars that have peanut butter.  They are promising, but need to be tweaked as is.  They were way too sweet even though I didn’t even add the chocolate chips.  I love the peanut butter and the texture.

This post has been submitted as part of Frugal Days,Sustainable Ways at Frugally Sustainable.com and Snacktime Saturdays.

Have any recipes to share?

15 Responses to Change The World Wednesday – Homemade Granola Bars

1. Schnugglebunnums June 20, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

This is the chai tea mix I just tried making instead of buying from Trader Joe’s. Pretty good! I actually put some in little jars and am giving it as teacher gifts.

And these are the granola bars we make (w/o nuts for Jonah):

2. Katie Bonner June 20, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

OK, I don’t know what that display name is about, but it’s me. Katie in Littleton! 🙂

3. The Greening Of Westford June 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Thanks Katie! LMAO!!!!! Toward the end of your first post I thought that was you but was confused by the name. Thanks for the chai tea mix. yummy!

4. Small Footprints June 21, 2011 at 12:25 am #

Mmm … gosh … I’m going to have to try making your recipe and the one posted by Katie. I love granola bars but the single-serve packaging just irritates me so I never buy them. Would love a homemade, healthy version. I’ll ask on our CTWW post to see if anyone else has suggestions for you! Thanks!

5. Katie Bonner June 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

FYI – I cut single serve of the granola bars and then throw them in a freezer bag in the freezer. Keeps them from getting moldy since they’re so moist. I can take them directly out of the freezer and pop into the kids’ lunchboxes, and they’re perfect by snacktime. They never get frozen hard anyway because of the honey.

6. srambach June 22, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

I make the same bars and freeze them in a quarter square of foil – Katie, do you wrap them to freeze or just put them all together in the freezer?
    I think I saw that the Meal Makeover Moms are working on a peanut butter granola bar…that should be good!

7. The Greening Of Westford June 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

Thanks Small Footprints! So many to try. I have to find something everyone likes.

Srambach – YUM!! peanut butter! I’ll have to keep an eye out. Please let me know if you see the recipe. Love the Meal Makeover Moms.

8. Nicki Woo June 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

These sound great! I’m gonna have to try them. I have a soft spot for chocolate and peanut butter. I made these granola bars
    on my blog, full of nuts and fruit, they are great for breakfast!

9. The Greening Of Westford June 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

Thanks Nicki! i’ll have to try those.

10. Rae June 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

these sound delicious; thanks for sharing the recipe. I make something similar but with about 50% dried fruit. They go down a storm but are very expensive to make; this is a good option for those more frugal weeks 🙂

Warm wishes
    Rae aka Mrs green @littlegreenblog.com

11. Natural Mothers Network February 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Thank you for sharing this post on granola bars with us at Seasonal Celebration. I rather like the addition of unsweetened apple sauce which must make them deliciously moist. I plan to make these over the weekend! If you want an email reminder each week click here http://eepurl.com/i-8pr
Rebecca x

12. mrs.h February 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Saw this in pinterest. I’m confused, you don’t list flour as an ingredient, but your directions and the recipe from allrecipes.com mention flour. Did you replace flour with the rice crisps, or did you forget to list flour as an ingredient?

13. The Greening Of Westford March 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Oops! Thanks for catching that Mrs. H. I omitted the flours I used. I used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup regular flour. I have corrected the ingredient list.

14. Margaux at YoungNesters October 5, 2012 at 1:27 am #

Still haven’t tried making my own granola bars yet but these look so much better than the store bought ones! Thanks for linking up to Snacktime Saturday.