Luscious Lip Balm Made Easy

Lip Balm Made Easy {The Greening Of Westford}

I really like making my own products – whether it’s food, cleaning, or personal care products.  I like to cook and be creative and this feeds that passion.

Lip balm is so simple!  There are tons of recipes out there.  This is one that I made with my daughters and some of their friends.  It is girl approved!

The basics are really simple – melt a combination of oils together, add scents (optional), pour into a container.
You will use a combination of oils that are liquid and solid at room temperature.  The amount of each will determine the consistency of the resulting balm.

Basic Recipe

1 TBSP beeswax
1 TBSP coconut oil
1/4 tsp Vitamin E oil
scent (optional: try extracts you use for baking like vanilla, coconut or peppermint, essential oils, or honey)

Yields about 1/2 oz.

Melting ingredients for lip balm {The Greening Of Westford}
  1. Melt the beeswax and coconut oil.  There are a couple of ways to do this.  Whatever you use, you may need to designate as “lip balm making” use only and the beeswax if difficult to clean out.  If you have a bowl you are willing to sacrifice, use that over a pot of simmering water (double boiler).  I sacrificed one of our many mugs.  I set it in a shallow pan of water.  You will need to stir the mixture.  An old Popsicle stick works great.
  2. Once the oils have melted, add Vitamin E and scent (if using).
  3. Place in a container and cool.
Some Tips:
  • Vitamin E is great for the skin and acts as a preservative.
  • Honey adds a nice creaminess to the lip balm.  If you use it, you will need to stir until the mixture begins to cool. Otherwise the honey will separate.  You will also need to reduce the Vitamin E slightly.
  • Once the lip balm has cooled,  test it out.  If you don’t like the consistency or want more scent, you can remelt the mixture and add whatever it needs.  For example, more peppermint oil for a better scent or more liquid oil to make it softer.  Go light on the liquid oils and scent at first.  It’s easy to add more of these later, but you can’t take it out.
Remelting lip balm to add more scent or make smoother {The Greening Of Westford}
Because these were in metal tins, I just dropped them into the hot water to remelt.  I wouldn’t try this with plastic containers.

Here is another variation that was popular with the girls.

Chocolate Mint Lip Balm

1 TBSP beeswax
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 TBSP coco butter
1/2 tsp honey or jojoba oil (or other oil)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp of Vitamin E
few drops peppermint essential oil or extract

Yields about 2 oz.

1. Melt the beeswax, coconut oil and coco butter slowly.
  2. Once the oils have melted, add peppermint oil.  Remove from the heat and add honey/jojoba oil, cocoa powder, and Vitamin E.  Stir until mixed thoroughly.
  3. Place in a container and cool.
Sources for ingredients
Beeswax can be found at Debra’s Natural Gourmet, Nissitisett Apiary and online.  Make sure you get pellets.  Beeswax is extremely hard so it will be difficult to break off the correct amount if you get a big hunk.
Coconut Oil is available at most grocery stores, including Hannaford, Market Basket and Trader Joe’s.
Vitamin E can be found at any grocery or drug store.
Essential oils are available at GNC and online.
Extracts are available in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
Containers
Any small container works well.  I purchased small 1 oz tins online, but I also used old cosmetic containers and a contact lens case!  Baby food jars would be a little big and not extremely portable, but a good option as well.
Flavor options for homemade lip balm {The Greening Of Westford}
We tired vanilla, lime, coconut, peppermint, plain honey,and chocolate mint.  We loved them all!
Have you ever made your own lip balm?

20 Responses to Luscious Lip Balm Made Easy

1. Lori Popkewitz Alper January 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

I have never made my own lip balm, but this is such a great idea! I like that you are using metal containers v. plastic. Now you need to sell them!

• The Greening Of Westford January 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

I was amazed at how easy it was too! There are soooo many recipes out there and they can get complicated with the number of ingredients. This one was simple and does the trick really nicely! I love that I was able to use extracts from the baking aisle!

2. Small Footprints January 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

I adore lip balms … and I’ve found that the natural versions are so much nicer on one’s lips. I didn’t realize that making them was so easy … I just might have to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing! :-)

• The Greening Of Westford January 27, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

If you try it, let me know. The measurements are approximate so you might need the remelting step. But again, pretty easy to do and I love that you are not stuck with lip balm that has no flavor or is too hard.

3. Amy January 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

I need to add beeswax to mine and see how it comes out. I’ll also have to add some peppermint EO also.

• The Greening Of Westford January 27, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

How do you make yours now Amy? I tried one without beeswax and found it too soft – but still nice. Beeswax can be difficult to find but makes the balm have some staying power.

4. Argentum Vulgaris January 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

I like this. It gave me the impetus needed to follow through with a project I thought of some time ago… procrastination is a terrible thing. I have added an Apothecary to my blog Eco-Crap and your Lip Balm link is the first item in the shop. Hope you like the idea. btw, Small Footprints sent me the link, blame her.

AV

5. Deila Taylor February 12, 2012 at 2:34 am #

I love your tins. I make a similar balm, and use it on my skin. I’ve thought of doing smaller batches with more beeswax for lips. Nice.

6. The Greening Of Westford February 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Thanks Deila! These tins are really cute. I ordered them from http://www.emporiumnaturals.com/

I bet this would be great on your skin. I actually made a lotion bar recently with similar ingredients and use that on my body – I really like it.

Thanks for stopping by!

7. Natural Mothers Network February 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

What a great seasonal post- who doesn’t suffer form sore lips at this time of year and need something truly natural to relieve them-thank you! I’m so glad you dropped by and I really welcomed this contribution last week to the Seasonal Celebration Linky- a great collection of seasonal recipes, homemaking, crafts, homeschooling and motherhood thank you so much!
    Seasonal Celebration is live once more, so feel free to pop over and join this wonderful celebration of creative talent! http://naturalmothersnetwork.com Rebecca x

8. Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust February 18, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Not only have I never made my own lip balm, I’ve never even thought about it. You’re amazing! Thanks so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday.

Warmly, Michelle

9. The Greening Of Westford February 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Hi Michelle, Thanks for stopping by. I love this lip balm. not only does it work great, but it’s easy and fun to put together.

10. The Greening Of Westford February 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Rebecca,
    Thanks for telling me about the Seasonal Celebration linky. Definitely a great resource!

11. girl scout leader December 17, 2012 at 1:29 am #

This was great to make! I do suggest that the beeswax be shredded before melting. Also mix with the coconut oil before melting. It seemed to make the melting of the wax easier. I added just a dash of peppermint oil. Just enough to add a smell without it making your lips tingle. A definite must try!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 20 Uses for Coconut Oil | Good Girl Gone Green - July 2, 2013

[...] Lip Balm: during those cold winters, use coconut oil as a lip balm or throw a few ingredients together and make a fancier version. [...]

2. 20 Uses for Coconut Oil | My Own Little Playground - October 24, 2013

[…] Lip Balm: during those cold winters, use coconut oil as a lip balm or throw a few ingredients together and make a fancier version. (find the recipe here) […]

3. Simple Homemade Gifts - Luscious Lip Balm - Last Minute Gifts - December 23, 2013

[…] Luscious Lip Balm made easy is a great project to have a child or friend help you make!  You can create this recipe in bulk […]

4. 15 Surprising Uses for Coconut Oil | Care2 Healthy Living - February 4, 2014

[…] Lip Balm – Use candelilla wax in place of beeswax for a vegan […]

5. 15 Surprising Uses for Coconut OilWorldBInoculars | WorldBInoculars - February 6, 2014

[…] 2. Lip Balm – Use candelilla wax in place of beeswax for a vegan recipe. […]