Mason Jar Blender

For a while now I have wanted to make my own moisturizing lotion.  The recipe I found needs to be blended in a blender.  OK, I have a blender, no problem right?  But the recipe includes beeswax.  Problem.  I know from making my own lip balm that beeswax is difficult to clean out.  I didn’t want my kids’ next smoothies to be waxy!  So I waited….

Then I started to see rumors on the internet about using a regular mason jar with your blender.  Really?  I have to admit I was nervous to try but this would solve the waxy blender problem.

Today I made my lotion AND used a mason jar with my blender!

I’m going to say now that I am no blender expert.  This worked with my blender.  While looking into this, I did see references to broken mason jars, tipping blenders, and lost fingers!
IF you decide to try this, please use your best judgement and be careful!

I used a regular pint sized mason jar.  The wide mouth jars are too wide.  My blender is an Osterizer 12 speed blender that is about 14 years old.

Mason jar blender

Step 1:  Remove the blade assembly from the blender pitcher.
Step 2:  Place whatever you wish to blend in the mason jar.

Step 3: Screw the blade assembly – gasket, blades and base – onto the mason jar.  Make sure it is secure.

Step 4: Put the mason jar onto the blender base.

At this point, I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous.  To be on the safe side, I covered the whole blender with towels.  In case it broke, I figured this would contain the glass somewhat.

Step 5: Blend.  I pulsed it a few times and ONLY blended on the lowest speed.  I also held onto the mason jar lightly just to make sure it stayed balanced.

Basically work in reserve to get everything out of the jar when done blending.

Take the mason jar and blade assembly off the blender base.

Unscrew the blade assembly.

This worked out REALLY well!

I love this method, since you could actually make something then store it in the same mason jar!
Have you ever done this?  Would you even try?

This post is part of Crunchy Betty’s Tuesdays Outside the BoxFrugally Sustainable, and Seasonal Celebration Sunday.

17 Responses to Mason Jar Blender

1. Veee April 11, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

I do this for salad dressing all of the time but didn’t think to use it for making lotion.
    Thanks

2. The Greening Of Westford April 12, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Hi Veee, Glad to know others are using this method with success. Salad dressing is a great idea.

3. debdenny April 13, 2012 at 11:42 am #

What a cool idea!

• The Greening Of Westford April 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I am so glad I finally had the nerve to try it! So cool. Next time I think I will use the larger size mason jar to give the blades a little more room and turn up the speed a bit.

How cool would it be to mix individual margaritas or other frozen drinks for a party – then just use the mason jar as your glass!

4. Mrs. Z April 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Hmm…I bet I could do this next time! Thanks!!

• The Greening Of Westford April 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Please let me know if you try this out. I am so glad I did, because I am loving my lotion!

5. Alea Milham April 13, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

I have tried it and it works. I also put nuts in a jar and use the blender like a food processor. And I put frozen fruit and spinach in a mason jar and place it on a blender to make smoothies. Who needs a bullet when you have a mason jar and then I drink the smoothie right out of the jar.

• The Greening Of Westford April 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks so much for commenting on your success with this Alea! Like I said, I saw some horror stories, but they were few compared to the successes.

6. Kelley @ Kelley's Passion for Nutrition April 14, 2012 at 4:37 am #

WOW< very very cool! I am Pinning and sharing. Not sure if I can risk the fingers, but I might try when I build up the nerve!

• The Greening Of Westford April 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

I hear you Kelley! That is what I did. Last week, I desperately needed lotion! And I have to add that the horror stories were few compared to the successes. But still, you are using an electric appliance, with sharp blades, in a manor probably not endorsed by the company. Although I saw mention of blenders coming with mason jars years ago for this purpose. I need to ask some of my older aunts about this.

7. Brittney April 17, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Sounds very convenient! Glad you didn’t hurt yourself in the process!

8. Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) April 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Me too Brittney! I would definitely do this again.

9. Small Footprints April 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Hm … this is so cleaver! I could find a lot of uses for it. And love the idea of blending and then keeping the product in the same jar to store. Great idea!! Did you have any trouble getting the lip balm off the blades? Thanks for sharing!

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) April 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

It was really cool! And I finally got to make my moisturizer!!! There wasn’t much beeswax in the moisturizer so clean up of the blades was easy.

10. Cheaper Chicken April 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

I used to work in a lab at a potash plant. Everyday I had to blend several samples of potash to test. I used mason jars to blend them. In the two years I worked there I never had a problem. If you check the glass and put it on correctly, I can’t see how there would be a problem.

11. jay August 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

My youtube video might of interest to those wanting to use a wide mouth Mason, Kerr or Ball jar.