No Sew Reusable Swiffer Pads

Long ago I bought a Swiffer Wet Jet.  I absolutely loved it!  It was great for quickly cleaning up small spills.  With kids and a dog, that makes life very easy.

As my green journey continued though, I became less and less in love with the disposable cleaning pads that go along with the Swiffer.  I changed them less frequently and used the Swiffer less and less.

There has to be a way to make a reusable pad.  I do not sew!  But my mom does.  So I started prototyping so I could tell her what to sew.

I have seen really cute ones that you slip onto the Swiffer head.  I thought those might come loose as I was scrubbing, so I thought Velcro might help keep it in place.  Well, this did the trick, without any sewing!

What you will need:

Self-Stick Hook and Loop (Velcro with a sticky backing)

Microfiber cloth

What to do:

Step 1:  Take the “hook” part (the stiffer side) of the hook and loop and stick it on the Swiffer head.

Step 2: I took a microfiber cloth and wrapped it around the head.

Step 3:  The final product looks like this.

I started testing it out and the cloth stuck!  It doesn’t look as pretty as the ones you can buy on Etsy, but it works!  I just remove the cloth and wash it.
I did leave one of my last disposable pads on the Swiffer for extra cushioning.  I use this mostly on hardwood floors with very little water, so the disposable pad does not get very wet.  I think I’ve had the same one for quite a while.  I’m sure there are other things I could use if needed.

I never bought the replacement cleaning solution.  I just use a spray bottle with a mixture of vinegar and water.  I squirt the floor then mop.  If you like the cleaning solution dispenser on the Swiffer, there are plenty of DIY solutions for that out there too.

What other disposables have you ditched?

This post is being shared at Frugal Days Sustainable WaysFrugal FridaysTeach Me Tuesdays and Simple Lives Thursday.

16 Responses to No Sew Reusable Swiffer Pads

1. noteasytobegreen April 16, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Great idea! We recently switched out our hideous 60s green linoleum in the kitchen for bamboo flooring, and my mother gave me a Swiffer. I’ve used them in the past and liked them, but try hard not to do disposable anything, so this post is perfect for me. I’ve replaced most of my disposables…there’s one roll of paper towels in the kitchen for the occasional cat vomit or other really yucky mess. One roll lasts us about a year! The other hold out is toilet paper. I’m not sure why that one seems so insurmountable to me, when I’m fine with cloth pads and menstrual cups.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) April 17, 2012 at 1:23 am #

That is great noteasytobegreen! I still can’t get myself to try the cloth pads or menstrual cups. And I think toilet paper will be staying for a while too. 🙂
      I hope it works for you. Not a perfect solution, but totally quick and easy and no sewing! Which is key for me.

2. Kelley @ Kelley's Passion for Nutrition April 17, 2012 at 12:57 am #

Neat idea! I wonder if it will work for my floors, thanks for the review!

3. Shauna April 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

You can actually buy a similar thing that comes with a re-usable pad and mix your own solution (we use a small amt of Mr Clean and water). Cost the same or less than the swiffer and it’s made to toss in the wash – got mine at Target

4. Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) April 17, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Thanks for the info Shauna. If I were making this purchase now, I would totally get something that is designed to be more reusable. I really dislike the disposables that seem to be everywhere. Good to know that companies are changing their ways.

5. Kath April 18, 2012 at 12:21 am #

I should reactivate my very old swiffer type mop. In mine you can sort of squeeze in any type of cloth so that is extra easy to switch to reusable. It’s a great idea.
    For when you have really tough cleanup to do, I like my steam cleaner. I know it uses energy but at least it’s chemical free and does the job for even ages old crusted up stuff. My kitchen has reusable wrap and baggies still – work in progress, but we don’t use paper towels much anymore and definitely have reusable lunch boxes and such.
    Far as the menstrual cup – I’m still getting used to it but I swear it helps a ton with cramps. Weird right? I have no explanation.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) April 18, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

It’s all a work in progress Kath. Good for you with the menstrual cup. Someday I’ll get there too!
      I have a steam cleaner too. Love that it uses no chemicals and gets hot enough to sterilize anything that might need it. Not crazy about the size of mine though – the head is too big to maneuver easily.

6. What A Card April 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

I love my swiffer wet jet. I swear, it saved my life when I was hugely pregnant and trying to keep our house in “show-ready” condition when we had it on the market. I don’t know what I would have done toting pails of water around or scrubbing on hands and knees 🙂 That said, I, too, hate the “disposable” aspect of it. I bought a rubbermaid reusable mop pad–it’s too big for the wet jet, but I just let it overflow the sides. It works fine, and you just throw it in the laundry when you’re done (though mine is pretty stained by now), and is still holding up a few years later! I only mop with vinegar and water, so I don’t mind washing the pad with our towels/napkins/etc. Not sure if I’d want to do that if I was using more chemicals, though!

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) April 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Good point about what you are cleaning with! I must admit that I sort of “assume” people reading this are using safer cleaning products.

Good to know that the rubbermaid mop pad works as well. I really like being able to reuse what I already have instead of having to go out and buy something new just to reduce the disposables! Such a weird circle!

7. DeDa Studios April 26, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Fantastic idea! I will for sure give my old Swiffer a Green Look! I too loved the Swiffer but hated the disposable part! Great way to recycle old T-Shirts. thanks fro sharing.

8. Becca May 2, 2012 at 5:24 am #

Great idea & super easy! Thanks for posting this!
    Becca (the ABC kidZ)

9. Alison July 3, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

I don’t have the wet jet but I have the regular dry one. I still have a few original cloths left but I usually use them for a week or so to extend how long they last. Normally, I clean the counters with a microfiber cloth and then stick it in the four little “claws” to clean the floor. No additional cleaners because the cloth is a little wet and it cleans the floor great!! I highly recommend it. My mom just got some microfiber towels at Target- 2 for $1 so frugal and green 🙂

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) July 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

That is a great tip for the regular swiffer. Thanks for mentioning the target microfiber cloths. I think I may need more soon. My parents bought a bunch at Costco or BJs (warehouse store) but not sure how much they were. Thanks for stopping by!