Why I Chose To Cut The Crusts (Homemade Breadcrumbs)

Why I Chose To But The Crusts {Homemade Breadcrumbs}

I never thought I’d be a Mom who cut the crusts off their children’s bread.  What’s the difference?  I figured if I just didn’t start doing it, then my kids wouldn’t know the difference?  They eat wheat bread and really, to this day, don’t know too much about white bread.

So I continued not cutting off the crusts.  As my oldest turned 2, I noticed that she would leave large parts of her sandwiches uneaten – the parts around the crust!  For almost a year, I refused to cut the crusts figuring she would get used to it.  Well, she didn’t.  Finally I gave in.  And you know what?  She ate the whole sandwich.  If I just cut off that tiny edge, I avoided wasting more of the sandwich.  She would always leave a huge margin to ensure her lips did not touch the crust!

Now, if I was organized, I could have managed to do something with the crusts as well, right?  At that point in my life, I had a toddler and infant twins.  If I could manage to keep us all feed and relatively clean for the day I was doing great!  So the crusts were tossed.

When things calmed down a bit and my second daughter began baulking at the crusts too, I was ready to save them.    BREADCRUMBS were the answer!  Along with all those leftover ends that no one eats or bread that goes stale.   The trick is to use your freezer to make the whole process more doable.

METHOD

Save the ends, crusts and other bread “crumbs” in the freezer until I have enough and some time to make the breadcrumbs.

Dry out the bread.  I usually do this when I’m making granola or snackmix.  I use the oven on a very low setting – like 250.

Homemade Breadcrumbs

Let them cool completely.  Otherwise, they might get soggy from the steam when you grind them.

Grind them in a food processor or blender until they are the consistency you like.  The nice thing is that you can grind them as coarse or fine as you like.

Store the breadcrumbs in freezer.  I keep my breadcrumbs plain and add seasoning depending on what I am making.

I use any kind of bread we happen to have left and just mix them together.  Usually that is wheat bread, the occasional hamburger bun or pita.  I have also added crackers or tortilla chip crumbs as well.  I bet certain cereals would work too!

The first time I used my homemade breadcrumbs to make “chicken nuggets”, my husband said they tasted even better and asked what I did differently!

Have you ever made your own breadcrumbs?  What else do you make yourself instead of buy?

This post has been shared at Your Green ResourceSimple Lives Thursday, and Frugally Sustainable.

10 Responses to Why I Chose To Cut The Crusts (Homemade Breadcrumbs)

1. Cassie W June 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks for posting this! My husband is the cook in the house, and he would love this idea. He likes making everything himself, but breadcrumbs is one thing he hasn’t tried yet, and we waste a lot of bread. I’ll have him try this!

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) June 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Thanks for stopping by Cassie! I like making everything myself too – at least as much as possible. My kids have started teasing me about it, but in a good way because they are always amazed that I MADE it not bought it.

2. Jackie June 2, 2012 at 1:21 am #

That is such a good idea! I always want to make breadcrumbs but I never have any extra bread. So smart!

3. Small Footprints June 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

We don’t cut off the crusts but there are those ends and the occasional bread that gets left out and/or goes stale. I remember when I first realized I could make crumbs out of them … it was like a “light bulb” moment and since we make our own bread, the crumbs turned out to be so much better than the store bought variety … and I know what’s in them. I often use a dry frying pan to dry them out and toast them. My favorite use for them is to sprinkle them on a salad instead of using croutons … totally yummy!

While I visit you regularly, today I found you at the Superstar Saturday post on My Baby’s Green. WhooHoo!

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) June 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

I’ll have to try them on a salad! yum!
      Yeah for Superstar Saturday!!!!! So excited. I was out all day yesterday so I didn’t get a chance to look. Thanks for telling me.

4. noteasytobegreen June 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Great tip! I usually buy the panko stuff from the Asian market if I have something that requires breadcrumbs (rarely), but there are times I could really use a pinch — in stuffed mushrooms, on top of mac and cheese. I don’t cut crusts off, but my husband refuses to eat the ends of any loaf of bread, and I don’t always feel like it either, so I end up with lots of ends in the freezer.

I make my own bread about half the time and find that the crust tastes a lot better. Of my two baguette recipes, one has a very soft, almost unnoticeable crust that works beautifully for sandwiches. The other has the perfect Ratatouille crackle when you squeeze and is crunchy, tasty, and awesome dipped into good olive oil.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) June 4, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Homemade bread crust does taste so much better! Haven’t made it in quite a while.
      I never used breadcrumbs much before, but I find myself using them more now that I make them. Homemade eggplant cutlets or chicken “fingers” are so yummy!

5. All Natural Katie June 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Great idea to turn it into breadcrumbs, which can also be frozen for later use.

I came from the Reduce Footprints Monday Blog hop!