Never Waste Another Drop Of Wine

I’m sure some of you are thinking, “Waste?  Really?”  In which case you probably skipped this post altogether!  However, there are occasions when you have leftover wine – now what?

There are those times when I enjoy more than one glass of wine!  But more often than not, I just want one glass but I don’t want to open the whole bottle.  I know I won’t drink or use the rest in cooking before it goes bad.   So, I skip the glass of wine.

I have always heard of people freezing wine in ice cube trays to use later.  Great idea but it never happens.  Plus I’m not even sure we own an ice cube tray!  All of the new refrigerators seem to come with ice makers!  So no wine in the freezer for me until…..

One day I thought, let me just try freezing the wine in a glass jar, as it freezes I’ll take it out and scrape at it to keep it from getting solid.  Just like the chefs on Food Network do when making a granita.  Well, I forgot to take it out and scrape at it.  Wonderful discovery – THE WINE DOESN’T FREEZE SOLID!

When I have leftover wine, I simply pour it into a glass jar and toss it in the freezer.

It’s like a snow cone.  Just waiting for you to scoop out and use in whatever recipe you’d like. Stir the wine a bit before you scoop it out as the alcohol may have separated a bit.

Now I always have a glass jar of red and one of white wine waiting for me in the freezer.  I love the flavor they give to dishes!  I’m not sure how long this will keep, but I had these jars in the freezer for a few months and the flavor was still fantastic.

By the way, I didn’t use any sort of special glass jar.  This red wine is in an old peanut butter jar.  I’m currently out of white wine, but I use a jelly jar for that.  Just make sure you don’t fill them all the way – leave plenty of head room (about an inch or so).

Have You Ever Tried Freezing Wine?

[Top Photo Uses under Creative Commons license by Mary Witzig/Flickr]

This post was shared at Simple Lives ThursdayFrugally SustainableYour Green ResourceFrugal FridaysSeasonal Celebration Sundays,  Farmer’s Daughter , The Pistachio Project,  Tiny Tip TuesdayMonday Mania and Home is Where The Heart Is.

, ,

13 Responses to Never Waste Another Drop Of Wine

1. lightlycrunchy July 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Great idea – I used to keep some in plastic baggies in the freezer, but they were constantly getting lost. Duh! Not sure why jars didn’t occur to me. I use them for everything else!

2. Judee July 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Since my husband doesn’t drink red wine, I always have at least half a bottle left over. Thanks for the great idea!!I’m pinning it.. Saw you on The Tasty Alternative blog hop. I love your blog.. I’m following you on Twitter.

3. Judee July 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Oops . It was Frugally Sustainable..

4. Teresha@Marlie and Me July 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

I’m going to share this with hubby. I know he is tired of his wine going bad because I don’t drink it

5. Brittney Minor July 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

How awesome! This is a great tip! I hate opening a wine bottle in my house, unless I have company, because most of the time it never gets finished! I will have to try this out!

6. Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) July 18, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

It has really been a great discovery for me! not only because I can now have A glass of wine if I want, but I also have wine for cooking! I just love the flavor it adds.

7. Erika Marsh July 26, 2012 at 1:24 am #

I have never freezed wine but I will now! Thanks for this great tip! Please come hang out and link up to our link party “Home is Where the Heart is” Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! 🙂

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) July 27, 2012 at 11:52 am #

It really was a great discovery. I NEVER got around to doing the ice cube tray thing! Too many steps.

Thanks for the invite to your link party! I did link up.

8. Erika Marsh August 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Thank you for sharing at our linky party “Home is where the heart is” I wanted to stop by and let you know you’ve been featured!! Please come and check out the others who have linked up and if you’d like to link up this week we’d love to have you! http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-5/