6 Oddball Things I Always Save

You know how you see something and think, “I bet I could use that for something.  I should probably save  it.”    Well, here are 6 things that I always save and always use.

Rubber bands    Lots of produce comes with rubber bands on it.  I save them all.  I use them to hold various electric cords together, holding a cereal bag liner on a watermelon or holding a cut apple together so it doesn’t brown.

6 oddball things to save money

Glass Jars   I save ALL glass jars that come into the house – spaghetti sauce, jelly, salsa, pickles, condiments, etc.  I use these for EVERYTHING – dry goods like beans, flour, sugar and dried fruit; leftovers, freezer storage, crafts.  I like to save all of them because then I can pick just the right size for the job.  The possibilities are endless and they look so cute and clean.

Popsicle Sticks   We don’t buy them often, but when we do I save the sticks.  They come in very handy when making beauty products and crafts.

Cereal Bag Liners   This is a new one.  I now have several on hand at all times. They are great for anything you would use waxed paper for.  I use them when making granola bars to help with pressing the bars into the pan and separating them in the freezer so they don’t stick.  I store them in an old cereal box with the top cut off.  Eventually this box will be decorated to make it look pretty….

Veggie Scraps   Carrot peels, ends of onions, you name it, it goes into my “Veggie Scraps” bag in the freezer.  When I make stock, these scraps help flavor the stock.  I usually have enough so that I don’t have to add anything else except a few herbs and some salt.

The key here is to have a place for these things to go.  This way you actually can reuse them!

Do you have uses for oddball stuff?

This post has been shared at Healthy 2Day WednesdayFrugal Days Sustainable Ways, Frugal Tuesday TipPenny Pinching PartyTeach Me TuesdayFrugal Friday,  Simple Lives ThursdayYour Green Resource,  Seasonal Celebration Sunday, Living Big Less Money, Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Simply Natural Saturdays

19 Responses to 6 Oddball Things I Always Save

1. CelloMom September 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Love this! When I was a girl we used to make our jump ropes from rubber bands linked together: the bestest, smoothest, silkiest ever, and you could make it heavier at the center by doubling or tripling the links, for a nice swing. We were always collecting rubber bands.

I want to try the veggie scraps for stock; my worms are drowning in scraps, anyway.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) September 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

What a great idea! I’ll have to try the jump rope.
      The veggie scraps are so worth it. I throw EVERYTHING in there. Even if it doesn’t add to the flavor, I figure we are getting the nutrients.

2. Small Footprints September 24, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Oh I love the cereal box liner idea. Brilliant! We do the veggie stock with leftover bits and pieces … and truly, the stock is excellent … so much more flavorful than store bought varieties and it doesn’t have all the “icky” stuff. I try to avoid plastic packaging but sometimes I can’t find items in anything but plastic. So I take the packaging (which is usually in the form of a plastic bag type thing) and use it as a garbage bag. It still is bad and gets tossed but at least it’s delayed a bit. Of course, whenever I can find an alternative, I take it … the goal is to eventually have NO plastic.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) September 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

No plastic would be nice. It seems so difficult. It is everywhere!! I would rather buy cereal in bulk, but we just don’t have that option here. There is cereal that comes in bags (no box), but they are the worst, sugar loaded, empty calorie ones!

3. Britney {Jesses Girl} September 26, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Wow! Great list! Never thought of a couple of these.

4. Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) September 26, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Thanks for stopping by Britney!

5. Jennifer September 27, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Great ideas! I need to start saving the cereal bags too, so many uses!

6. flashbulbspurpleirises September 28, 2012 at 3:52 am #

Okay, so I have to know, where do you put all of your jars while you wait for a use? I have a bin that I use for my “creative reuse” containers, but once it’s full then I hold off on adding new unless I come across a container that I love. Sure gets crowded in my craft storage area with this kind of stuff.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) September 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Yes it can get crowded! I have a decent amount of storage in my basement. I have 2 cardboard boxes for the jars. When they are full, I go through and weed out the duplicates or the ones I know I will be acquiring more of quickly. Once I had so many, I offered them on freecycle – no takers though.

7. Becky Elmuccio October 1, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Great idea with the veggie scraps. I have to start doing that one. Thanks for sharing these tips!

8. Laura @ Laura Williams Musings October 1, 2012 at 3:19 am #

Mesh bags such as onions come in. I make kitchen scrubbers from them. http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2010/05/homemade-kitchen-scrubbers.html

9. Laura @ Laura Williams Musings October 1, 2012 at 3:25 am #

Oh and strings from bags of the wheat I buy, cat food,etc. They are great for tying bunching of herbs to hang to dry.

10. Robert October 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

I use the cereal liners to top bowls of things I am reheating in the microwave works just as well as a paper towel and they are free! I clean my cereal liners and then wrap the up and place in a box that use to have plastic freezer bags inside. When I cut meat into small sizes from the grocery I grab one of these and place around the wrapped meat then place it in a freezer bag in this way I have dividers between the meat. They are so handy for so many things. I use them to wrap individual baked treats too for care boxes for older kids and lunch boxes for younger kids.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) October 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Great ideas Robert! Thanks so much for adding to their uses. I have been using them when I want to pound (tenderize) chicken – I place the chicken breast inside a cereal bag, fold over the end and pound away! No chicken juice all over the kitchen.

11. Cynthia L January 18, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

Love these ideas. The only thing I don’t do is save the cereal bags. I will have to give that a try! Thanks for linking to the Living Big on Less Money series.