Now for the bad news
- There are no real regulations for personal care products. Companies are NOT required to test for safety before they hit the shelves.
- All ingredients do NOT need to be disclosed. This is especially the case with fragrance and flavorings. You just don’t know what is in there.
- Three common ingredients used in many personal care products have been linked to cancer, reproductive issues, and hormone disruption to name just a few. These are parabens, phthalates, and triclosan.
- Our skin is the largest organ on our bodies and is really good at absorbing stuff. How many medicines now come in “patch” form?
How To Find Safe Alternatives
- Get educated at The Campaign For Safe Cosmetics and the Environmental Working Group Skin Deep Database.
- Tell your Senators you want them to support the Safe Chemicals Act
- Switch or eliminate ONE product you currently use.
Have you switched to safer personal care products? Any you haven’t been able to switch?