7 Ways My Smart Phone Saves Paper

7 ways my smart phone saves paper - The Greening Of Westford

Besides playing games, getting email, texting and taking quick photos, my smart phone has a bunch of cool features that actually help me save paper.   Now, saving paper in and of itself is very cool to me.  But more so, storing important items on my phone makes my life so much easier! No coupons floating around getting lost or forgetting my shopping list at home.

1.  No More Appointment Cards Not only is it convenient to have access to my family’s calendar wherever I am, but I don’t need to take an appointment card – which I always lose anyway!

2. No Need for Weekly Store Sales Fliers Many stores will price match another store’s sales price.  This may not work everywhere, but I was able to show the clerk at Walmart  the sales flier on my phone to get that price matched.

3. No Printed Receipts  Many stores are using electronic receipts. Among them are Sears, Apple, and Verizon.  No losing the receipt and if you need to make a return, no losing the receipt!

4. Online Purchase Pickups  Have you ever used Groupons, Best Buy in store pickup or bought movie theater tickets online?  Ask if you can show your electronic receipt rather than printing it.  I have done this at several locations.

5. To Do Lists  There are so many note pad type apps.  I have several ongoing lists for grocery shopping, To Do, to buy, Wholesale Clubs, you name it.

6. Electronic Coupons  I always have the latest coupons by using the Michael’s and JoAnn apps.  I just hand the clerk my phone.  No more printing the coupons from my email.

7.  Redeem Store Points  When you recycle ink cartridges at Staples they give you $2 in Staples credit, which you have to wait to use, then print the coupon, which expires in a couple of months.  It is a pain!  I recently installed the Staples app.  It isn’t the most user-friendly but I was able to use my staples rewards with it!  No printing necessary.

Airlines are also offering electronic boarding passes.  I don’t travel often enough for this to make a difference, but I have a friend who travels weekly and swears by it.

Now only if solar chargers were more affordable……

What are your cool smart phone tricks?

This post has been shared at: Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Simply Natural Saturdays, List It Thursday

12 Responses to 7 Ways My Smart Phone Saves Paper

1. Lisa @Retro Housewife Goes Green January 9, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

I use my phone for many of the same things. I love how many stores are sending receipts to emails and such now and coupons on apps. It’s great.

2. Barb @ A Life in Balance January 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Now that I have an iPhone4, I found myself using it more and more for everything. I saw the sign for the new Staples app at the register and haven’t had time to download it. As a GS leader, I bet having Michael’s coupons would be handy, too!

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) January 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

Oh yes the Michael’s app would be very handy! I don’t do as much crafting as I used to, so I was out of the habit of always having a Michael’s coupon. Now I don’t need to worry about it.

3. Brenna January 11, 2013 at 1:09 am #

Those are all great tips! I am trying to go more paperless with my phone and really appreciate the businesses that make it easy!

4. srambach January 11, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

I don’t have any additional phone ideas – those are great ones – but since you mention ink – have you ever tried refilling cartridges? I just, for the first time, had a bunch refilled at LittletonPC. It was fast, inexpensive, and the guys there were super nice. (I’m not affiliated with them at all, just a happy customer!) The service they use, InkSpot, looks like it has a website with lots of interesting “green” links, too.

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) January 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

I have re-filled ink cartridges. I used to fill my own, then started having a hard time finding the kits and I print much less often. I have tried the refill service at Costco and so far so good. I did however have a glitch with my printer recently – I was getting an error that the cartridges were “incompatible”. I had been using the refilled cartridge for quite a while without any trouble so not exactly sure if it was the cartridge or not.

Good to know about Littleton PC! I have heard good things about their service and I think I may need to be paying them a visit with my laptop. I’ll bring my empty cartridges too!

5. Small Footprints January 25, 2013 at 12:15 am #

You know … often people think that the newest and greatest techy gadgets are such a waste but, as you’ve shown, this particular one can save us a lot of paper. I love that companies are accommodating them, too, by making coupons, shopping lists, receipts, etc., smart phone friendly. Thank you for this post!

• Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) January 31, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Gadgets can certainly be a waste if you are always upgrading to the latest and greatest without any thought to recycling or reusing. But this particular gadget has made my life easier. It took a while to let go of the paper, but it is so freeing!

6. Megan Hall September 17, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I think my favorite feature of my phone is being able to make to-do lists on there. I can put it in there the minute I think of it and don’t have to wait around to find pen and paper (which means I usually forget what I wanted to write). I also enjoyed using it for making a grocery lists. It saved me some paper and having to carry that paper and pen around the grocery store.

• Kristina September 17, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Me too Megan! So handy to have everything right there. When I make a paper list I either leave it at home or in the car half the time. It’s amazing how I NEVER forget my phone though.