What Do Kids Think About School Lunches?

School has started and so have the school cafeteria lunch discussions.  In the news recently, I have read about schools dropping out of the National School lunch program for various reasons, parents wanting better food, new “healthier” guidelines,  kids “refusing” to eat the “healthier” lunches, etc….  But has anyone wondered what the kids think?

I was cleaning out an old stack of papers yesterday and came across this.  It’s my daughter’s persuasive writing assignment from 5th grade.  I think it’s interesting to see things from the child’s perspective.  Even more interesting to find out that not all of them want junk food.

Now, I am not naive.  I completely know that she still loves pizza , desserts, potato chips and the like.  Is she going to refuse that dessert when she buys lunch at school, no way.  But if she can make the connection between food and how she feels and performs, Woo Hoo!  Proud Mom moment!!!  And I’ll take it!  All my home cooking and talking sunk in.  Even if it was only to help her write this paper, it’s in her brain to stay.

An 11 year old's thoughts on school lunches

What do your kids (and you) think about school lunches?

, ,

6 Responses to What Do Kids Think About School Lunches?

1. Betsy (Eco-novice) September 5, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

Amen to that. Dessert and treats and sweets should be SPECIAL, not every day every meal. P.S. The news about schools rejecting new guidelines is a bit over-hyped by the media: http://www.thelunchtray.com/are-school-districts-really-rejecting-healthier-new-meal-standards/

• Kristina September 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Thanks for the link Betsy. The story sounded ridiculous when I read it. Glad to see some back up on the numbers.

2. CelloMom September 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Wow, that’s great! What eloquence in a 5th grader! I wonder if we should not ask our _children_ to write to all the people involved in school lunches: USDA, National School Lunch Program administrators, etc. After all, our children are the ones who have to eat those lunches.

• Kristina September 6, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Thanks CelloMom. She loves to write.

I think that would be a great idea! I’m sure my daughter isn’t the only one. Plenty of other children and moms say the same thing – at least around my town. I was trying to find another essay written by 2 4th or 5th grade boys in the school newspaper last year. Very enlightening as well. I’ll have to keep looking.

3. diane September 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

My children HATE the school lunches most days. And they are so ridiculously unhealthy…..Even if they do meet so call federal guidelines. They buy lunch once a week…usually when I am totally out of food or too darned tired to make a lunch. They come home hungry on those days!

• Ian Lee October 30, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I think school lunches are HORRIBLE……….. I should know because I am in High School, and I don’t even eat school lunches because it upsets my stomach.

They NEED to change……. at least in TASTE>>>>>>>>>