Whipped body butter 2.0 – why 2.0? Well, this is a little step up from my simple 1 ingredient body butter. When you first start out making your own products, the list of ingredients in some recipes can be so overwhelming and, for me, a show stopper. I don’t want to invest a lot of money in several ingredients when I’m not even sure I’ll like them. This is little step up and it’s worth it! Plus the added ingredients are still very basic and can be used in many other recipes.
I love making my own beauty products. I swear they work soooo much better than anything I have ever purchased. Even better – I control what goes into them. Not only can I make them free of toxins and other bad ingredients, but I can add ingredients that I find work for me. Win – Win!
Whipped Body Butter
1/3 cup coconut oil (like this ONE)
1/3 cup cocoa butter (like this ONE)
1/3 cup shea butter (like this ONE)
2 TBSP avocado oil (olive, jojoba or almond oil are all good choices as well)
1 tsp Vitamin E (optional)
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter. You will be whipping this later with a hand or stand mixer so use a bowl that will work.
- Add shea butter and let it melt. I find that if I heat shea butter too long or too hot, it gets gritty. It’s a soft butter and won’t take long to melt.
- Take off the heat and add Vitamin E (if using) and avocado oil.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator or even freezer and let it cool. Mine took almost an hour in the refrigerator. You want it at a sort of a gel like state. Alternatively, you could place the bowl in an ice bath.
- Whip the mixture until it is soft and frothy and completely cooled. If it’s not starting to look like whipped cream, it may need to cool more. Whip for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Vitamin E is used as a preservative. I always add some to anything I’m making just ’cause. If you don’t have any, it’s not a big deal. The other oils have a pretty long shelf life all on their own.
- Essential oils could be added to this base as well. This is your mix, so add whatever you like – lavender, grapefruit, rosemary….
Easy peasy, right?
Are you gonna try this?