Whipped Body Butter 2.0

Whipped Body Butter 2.0 - 4 easy ingredients.  {TheGreeningOfWestford.com}

Whipped body butter 2.0 – why 2.0?  Well, this is a little step up from my simple 1 ingredient body butter.   When you first start out making your own products, the list of ingredients in some recipes can be so overwhelming and, for me, a show stopper.  I don’t want to invest a lot of money in several ingredients when I’m not even sure I’ll like them.  This is little step up and it’s worth it!  Plus the added ingredients are still very basic and can be used in many other recipes.

I love making my own beauty products.  I swear they work soooo much better than anything I have ever purchased.  Even better – I control what goes into them.  Not only can I make them free of toxins and other bad ingredients, but I can add ingredients that I find work for me.  Win – Win!

Whipped Body Butter

1/3 cup coconut oil (like this ONE)
1/3 cup cocoa butter (like this ONE)
1/3 cup shea butter (like this ONE)
2 TBSP avocado oil (olive, jojoba or almond oil are all good choices as well)
1 tsp Vitamin E (optional)

1. In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter. You will be whipping this later with a hand or stand mixer so use a bowl that will work.
  2. Add shea butter and let it melt. I find that if I heat shea butter too long or too hot, it gets gritty. It’s a soft butter and won’t take long to melt.
  3. Take off the heat and add Vitamin E (if using) and avocado oil.
  4. Put the mixture in the refrigerator or even freezer and let it cool. Mine took almost an hour in the refrigerator. You want it at a sort of a gel like state. Alternatively, you could place the bowl in an ice bath.
  5. Whip the mixture until it is soft and frothy and completely cooled. If it’s not starting to look like whipped cream, it may need to cool more.  Whip for about 5 – 10 minutes.

• Vitamin E is used as a preservative.  I always add some to anything I’m making just ’cause.  If you don’t have any, it’s not a big deal.  The other oils have a pretty long shelf life all on their own.
  • Essential oils could be added to this base as well.  This is your mix, so add whatever you like – lavender, grapefruit, rosemary….

Easy peasy, right?

Are you gonna try this?

This post has been shared at Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural, Small Footprint Friday

, ,

9 Responses to Whipped Body Butter 2.0

1. Small Footprints February 6, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Mmmmm … whipped body butter … it’s so wonderful. I love the ingredients you use and it seems relatively easy to make. Yep … I’m gonna try it! 🙂

• Kristina February 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

Let me know how you like it! It is soooo easy to “whip” together 😉

2. Barb @ A Life in Balance February 7, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

I’m not sure what to do with whipped body butter. I’ve seen a few recipes floating around. Does it work as a moisturizer?

• Kristina February 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Yes Barb it’s a moisturizer. I use it on my body only, not face. But my Mom has been using it on her face and loves it. Her skin is more normal to dry. Mine still tends to be a bit oily and breakout prone so I’m a little nervous to try it on my face.

3. Deborah Davis February 7, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

Hi Kristina,
    I am a huge fan of homemade beauty products like this wonderful whipped body butter. I use coconut oil and avocado oil for most of my skin care needs. I used to use shea butter most of the time, but now I am finding so many other natural beauty products to make and try. This sure beats buying those toxin-filled, less effective commercial body care products. It’s always a pleasure to explore your blog.
    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful post on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Hop! I appreciate it!
    All the best, Deborah

• Kristina February 8, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

I know! There are so many wonderful sounding ingredients out there that I want to try. Mango butter and tamanu oil are top on my list right now.

4. de March 15, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

What should I be looking for with the vitamin E? Is it a liquid?

• Kristina March 18, 2014 at 4:15 pm #

Hi De,
      Yes, vitamin E is an oil. You can usually find a small bottle (2 – 4 oz) in any drug store or sometimes grocery store with other personal care products (like shampoos, lotions, etc.).

1. Eating (& Living) Clean on the Cheap: Make Your Own - June 21, 2014