My yoga mat has seen better days. It’s about 5 years old… at least! And it’s starting to fall apart. I often leave little bits of hot pink yoga mat at class. But what to do with my old yoga mat?! I will not toss it in the trash! How do I recycle my yoga mat?
Say it with me, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE – in that order.
Could I keep using this mat and not get a new one? In this case, no. Like I said, I’m leaving a trail behind me and I’m feeling like this mat has lost its cushion which isn’t good for my back.
That doesn’t necessarily mean I won’t reduce as part of this new yoga mat journey. But that is for another post.
The next best option would be to reuse it somehow. So off to pinterest and the internet. Here are just a few ideas I found.
Oh and make sure you clean/disinfect your mat really well before using it!
- Ask your yoga studio if they’d like to have an extra for people who forget.
- There are 2 companies I found that reuse old mats for at risk individuals – The Boulder Mat Company and Jade . They both have lists of drop off locations.
- Ask your local Animal shelter if they could use it as a lining for pet crates. Or use it for your cat or dog crate.
- Under a pet crate to protect the floor
- Shelf or drawer liners
- Cut the mat into squares and use them as “bases” while playing baseball.
- Jar openers – cut the mat into squares or circles and use to grip those hard to open jars. This probably wouldn’t work with those thick mats, but perhaps the thinner ones.
- Foot pads for furniture on wood or tile surfaces.
- Tent “door mat” – Bring it camping and place it outside your tent as a place to sit and remove shoes.
- Knee pad while gardening
- In between pots and pans so they don’t get scratched while stored.
- Place mat for pets’ bowls
If the above ideas won’t work for you, there is always the recycle option. Although, I’m coming up blank in this department. Recycle Your Mat used to take them, but it seems they have stopped and now direct you to other programs. Some of which I have mentioned here.
So what will I do with my yoga mat? I’ll keep it around and use it for a few of the reuse options above. I may give it to my puppy for her to practice her downward dog.
How Will You Recycle Your Yoga Mat?